Welcome! I am an Assistant Professor in the Mathematics Department at Colby College. I am an applied mathematician and I enjoy using mathematics to explore and learn about diverse topics in biology and the natural sciences. In much of my research, I develop and use computational methods to study the formation and stability of spatiotemporal patterns. Please see my research and publication pages for more information!
Previously, I was a Krener Assistant Professor in the Mathematics Department at the University of California Davis. I received my PhD in Applied Mathematics from Brown University, where I worked with Björn Sandstede.
|- Dynamical Systems||sdodson [at] colby [dot] edu|
|- Mathematical Biology||Office: TBA|
|- Nonlinear Waves|
|- Agent-Based Modeling|
|- Computational Methods|
- New Publication: S. Dodson, B. Sandstede Behavior of Spiral Wave Spectrum with a Rank-Deficient Diffusion Matrix, SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, 2022.
- New Publication: S. Dodson, T.J. Lewis Wave Reflections in Excitable Media Linked to Existence and Stability of One-Dimensional Spiral Waves, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, 2022.
- August 2022: SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures
- January 2023: Joint Mathematics Meetings
Selection of Recent Past activities
- June 2022: AWM Research Symposium, Mineappolis, MN. Presented: When curvature promote or obstructs the ability of a pacemaking region to drive activity in excitable tissue.
- April 2022: Rochester Institute of Technology, School of Mathematical Science Colloquium (virtual). Presented: Traveling waves, reflections, and the onset of cardiac arrhythmia.
- April 2022: Sonoma State University MATH Colloquium, Rohnert Park, CA. Presented: Modelling Population Migrations from Individual Decisions.
- March 2022: IMACS: International Conference on Nonlinear Evolution Equations & Wave Phenomena, Athens, GA. Presented: Behavior of Spiral Wave Spectra with a Rank-Deficient Diffusion Matrix.
- January 2022: Southern Methodist University, Department Colloquium (virtual). Presented: Exploring Migratory Patterns of Blue Whales with an Agent-Based Model.
- January 2022: Dynamics Days Conference (virtual). Presented: Reflections in Excitable Media Linked to Existence and Stability of One-Dimensional Spiral Waves.